Gmann's Rant

Monday, July 24, 2006

The Loss of My Father

For other members of this club, please accept my deepest and profound condolences and understanding. The hole in my heart is so large that sometimes I think there is physical pain. He was my hero.

My dad was definitely not the largest wage earner, greatest dancer, even the smartest person on any subject but one...life. And for that time he spent teaching me, giving willingly of himself...in any and every endeavor...I will be forever grateful and indebted.... I am so thankful he was my Dad. His selfless sharing of his views, friends and life experiences all to help me make my way..was such a huge gift..there is no paper big enough to wrap it or box to enclose it. I tremble when I think I will never see his wonderful smile, hear his contagious laugh and wonderin awe watching his smooth powerful golf swing again. His voice is forever etched in my memory.

This loss is so profound, so entwined with what and who I am that there is only one way I can repay, one way I can pay tribute..to honor his life..that is to be the best father, friend and person I can be, for he was all those things and more. To my Mom he was her friend and lover for over 55 years, to my brother his role model and task master and of course friend later in life, to my sister her biggest cheerleader [my sister is fabulous] but to me he was my core, my inspiration, my same wavelength my friend and yes.....he was amazingly..... my Dad.

I was there when he breathed his last breath holding my hand, as I knew he wanted it. I will never forget that moment nor any of the others we shared. I am blessed to have had so much time with him as were we all. I promise Dad, to never forget what made you....you.

I hope one day I can be a fraction the man that you were and are in my heart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home